As part of our commitment to the environment we are registered as battery producer Battery Compliance Reg No: BPRN03979 and as an electronic equipment producer Reg No: WEE/BA4449YX, we are working in conjunction with Comply Direct who operate as an Approved Battery Compliance Scheme and WEEE Compliance Scheme.
● Many batteries contain chemicals that are harmful to the environment when not dealt with correctly.
● The dumping of batteries in your household bin means they will end up in landfill causing pollution.
What types of battery we are accepting?
We are happy to take any types of your portable batteries. This includes:
● Alkaline batteries
● NiCd (nickel cadmium) batteries
● Zinc-Carbon batteries
● Lithium batteries
● Lead-Acid batteries
● Car batteries and many others
What Can I Do?
Most batteries can be recycled which has 2 main benefits;
● Preventing harmful chemicals from reaching landfill sites and contaminating the environment
● By reusing the raw materials in batteries there is less demand on the planets resources
You can visit www.Batteryback.org to find you’re nearest battery recycling point or you can deliver them personally to us.
Dos & Don’ts!
● Don't throw used batteries into your household waste
● Don't send back used batteries in the post as this is illegal and counter productive in helping the environment
● Do use rechargeable batteries, modern rechargeable batteries in most case last longer than standard alkaline batteries in a single charge and can be recharged upto a 1000 times
The Waste Batteries and Accumulators Regulations
Under the Waste Battery regulations, Component-Shop are now offering a take back scheme for all portable waste batteries. (regardless of whether purchased from us or not) You can return your waste batteries to our business premises in person (please do not post). Alternatively, you can find your local recycling facility at www.BatteryBack.org.
As a producer of industrial batteries under the Waste Batteries and Accumulators Regulations 2009, we Component-Shop.co.uk Ltd produce lead-acid, Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) lithium polymer (LiPo) & lithium ferrite (LiFe) batteries. We are obliged to take back free of charge, waste industrial batteries supplied to an end user for treatment and recycling. We are required to do this in any calendar year we place new industrial batteries on the market. If any of our customers or in certain cases other end users, require us to take back industrial batteries, they should contact us. We will agree the necessary arrangements for the return, proper treatment and recycling of the waste industrial batteries.
The Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) Directive is now UK law. The legislation aims to make producers pay for the collection, treatment and recovery of waste electrical equipment. The regulations also mean that suppliers of equipment like high street shops and internet retailers must allow consumers to return their waste equipment free of charge.
The amount of WEEE we throw away is increasing by around 5% each year, making it the fastest growing waste stream in the UK.
● Much of the UK’s WEEE ends up in landfill, where the lead and other toxins it contains can cause soil and water contamination. This can have a harmful effect on natural habitat, wildlife and also human health.
● Many electrical items that we throw away can be repaired or recycled. Recycling items helps to save our natural finite resources and also reduces the environmental and health risks associated with sending electrical goods to landfill.
Distributors of new Electric and Electronic Equipment (EEE) have a part to play in reducing the amount of WEEE going into landfill sites.
Component-Shop is obliged under these regulations to offer our customers free take-back of their WEEE on a like-for-like basis when they buy a new Electrical or Electronic product from us.
Goods are marked with this symbol to show that they were produced after 13th August 2005, and should be disposed of separately from normal household waste so that they can be recycled.
If you have any more questions regarding battery recycling please feel free to contact us.
Here you can find more information about :
What Else We Do
Apart from the regulations, we try to do our part towards reducing waste. Most of our packaging is either recycled, or contains a high percentage of recycled material. Product packaging is mostly recyclable, so please recycle in accordance with your local authority provisions for recycling. Where we supply small components, these are in re-usable (& recyclable) grip seal polythene bags. They can be used over & over again, rather than the cheaper, single use plastics favoured by other companies. We re-use our cardboard cartons as much as possible & even make our own reels for some of the cables & fibre optic. The cardboard comes from cartons that our packing envelopes are supplied in & the center core of the reels comes from the cores of the rolls of labels we use to address your packages. In short, we do our best to be as environmentally responsible as possible.